Hello everyone.
I just wanted to send out a hearty congratulations to everyone who was able to stay the course and participate in Certificate of Merit this year. I understand - especially on the higher levels when you are playing a full range of scales, chords, arpeggios AND 3/4 pieces - it is really tough to maintain your schooling, your sports AND a piano program this ambitious. However, many of you were able to prepare, participate and to complete all your requirements. If you did not complete all of the requirements - next year you have the choice of moving on to the next level or staying on this year's level another year (selecting new repertoire, of course).
I have a colleague who feels that Certificate of Merit is just too rigorous AND "Students don't receive a trophy for THREE YEARS". She feels that students in this day and age are used to almost instant recognition and therefore it is crazy to think that they should be required to work and wait for three years to earn a trophy. My feelings are pretty much the opposite. CM is a serious challenge. Students are required to make a real commitment. At the conclusion of three (sometimes four) years we can truly acknowledge a job well done!
Several students have reached that landmark this year.
Receiving their 1st trophy - Brooke Kenney and Scott Young.
Receiving a 2nd trophy (cup) is Derek DeBlieck. This is a six year effort on Derek's part.
As I look down the list, I see that next year could be an absolute trophy busting year for us. I count 10 students who could receive trophies and 5 who could be receiving cups. Hopefully, you will all hang in there and make these numbers real!
Additionally, many of our students met all qualifications and were recommended by their adjudicator to participate in the honors recitals being held next Friday and Saturday. Best wishes to these performers for yet another great performance.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment